[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jul 6 13:02:44 EDT 2012

On Jul 5, 2012, at 10:38 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> On Jul 5, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
>> On 5 Jul 2012, at 18:47, David Conrad wrote:
>>> As far as I know, the ASO (= the NRO)
>>
>> Does '=' mean:
>>
>> - the same organization
>> - ASO is an ICANN supporting organization that passes on all that the NRO (RIR 'collective') does for Board (and GAC?) blessing. Sort of an intermediary.
>> - mostly overlap becasue it is the same people but separate organization that could have a separate agenda if is was wished.
>
> I'd say #2 with the caveat that it only passes on things (to the Board) that are defined within the respective RIR's PDPs as 'global policies' (an extremely small and well defined subset of what the RIRs do, basically telling IANA what to do).
>
> However, I'm sure I got this wrong and John and/or Milton will correct me momentarily :-)

No need for any correction - you've got it right.  I will add some detail
for those who want it for reference purposes.

The RIRs actually coordinate many activities via the NRO (for example,
contributing financial support to the IGF, arranging for an informational
booth on Number resources to be present and staffed at a given IG event,
or working together to produce a single summary report on number resource
statistics)  These are predominantly informational and outreach coordination
tasks, but are not ASO activities per se, just coordination RIR activities.

With respect to ICANN, the NRO shall "fulfill the role, responsibilities
and functions of the ASO (Address Supporting Organization)", and this means
that the functions called for in ICANN's Bylaws for the Address Supporting
Organization (e.g. nominating two seats on the ICANN Board, and review of
global number resource policies for recommendation to the ICANN Board) are
performed by the NRO acting as the ASO.

The NRO has a council (with three participants from each region; two elected
& one appointed) which handles most of those tasks; Louie Lee is the present
Chair of the ASO Address Council and quite visible to those attending ICANN
meetings.

FYI,
/John

John Curran