[governance] Some Further Thoughts on the 2012 NomCom

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Feb 26 19:23:41 EST 2012

Dear All,

Let me provide some "off the record" reflections on my recent NomCom
experiences. These are my recollections, and should an Appeals Committee
be appointed, I'll check emails to verify the details and cooperate in
any way necessary. But my hope in preparing this is that the activation
of the Appeals Committee will be found unnecessary, and that we can
focus on more productive efforts such as the Human Rights on the
Internet document <http://www.igcaucus.org/digressit/archives/34>.

For background, I've been on IGC since shortly after its inception, read
thousands of emails, and responded perhaps a hundred or so times over
the years. But I've thought of myself as a bit of a lurker when compared
to the many who are more fully engaged. Feeling a tad guilty, when calls
for NomCom volunteers have arisen, I've submitted my name, albeit on the
second "come on guys" call from the coordinator. Once before my name was
picked, for an Appeals Committee. I never heard a word from that
experience other than an eventual “Thank you for your participation” as
there were no appeals.

Prior to this IGC NomCom, my experience with nominating committees was
limited to a Parents Association at my children's grade school. It was a
newly formed Association and with the expiration of my term as the
initial co-president, I needed to fill several seats - President,
Vic-President, Treasurer, and Secretary. We'd started the Association
two years prior and filling those seats required a half hour of pleading
with the 50 or so parents at the general meeting before several arose to
take on the responsibilities. Quite different for the recent NomCom.

In this instance I was selected as a reserve in June 2011, and advanced
to the NomCom in July when some those picked declined the appointment.
I'd expected it to be a learning experience, which it was and continues
to be.

Early on there was a note from the chair to the effect that, as
activities at the MAG were in some disarray, “Let's wait until we're
needed.” I acquiesced and awaited further direction. That came on
January 3 with the following from Izumi:

Dear Jeremy and all,

Dear respected members of NomCom of the Civil Society Internet Governance Forum:
Antonio Medina Gómez , Carlos Watson, Jacqueline Morris, Julián
Casasbuenas G., Shaila Mistry and Thomas Lowenhaupt.

You are the very important part of the CS IGC.
In December, the UN Under Secretary in charge of IGF called for the
formation of the MAG and invited the submission for the nomination...

A day later Jacqueline sent a draft "call for nominations" letter to
which I submitted comments. Several days later she sent it out
incorporating the recommended changes.

Over the first week or so I made several inquiries of the chair
regarding policy and process and received some response. As has now
become apparent, for unknown reasons Jacqueline became increasingly
unable to perform the duties for which she had volunteered.

Her inability only became apparent as we approached the deadline for
submission of the names. On January 25 Jacqueline forwarded to the
NomCom members all the nominations she had received. Effort was put to
initiate a conversation about the nominees including a Doodle (an
organizing tool doodle.com) and a suggested list of possible nominees.
With little activity on the list, I submitted to the NomCom a group of
candidate names that I thought were qualified and representative.

Jacqueline's ability to participate diminished further and as the
deadline approach (I presume) she gathered and reviewed the information
available to her and met her commitment to the IGC by submitting the
names of candidates, all of which I believed met the selection criteria
and would represent the IGC well at MAG.

Shortly thereafter Jacqueline totally dropped out of the picture and,
with a little time on my hands, I volunteered to put a final NomCom
report together. (I have not heard what precluded Jacqueline's
participation, but one January email mentioned health troubles.)

After submitting the NomCom report the missing APC nominations came to
light. Also, an extension of the submission deadline by IGF provided a
possible 10 days additional for review. So, with the surfacing of the
APC nominations and sparks beginning to fly, the active members of the
NomCom sought a resolution by using the IGF extension as additional
review time.

At first we thought we would be able to reopen the process and review
the APC nominees, and we thought we'd allow others to submit
applications as well.

At some point it seems the APC lost faith in our ability to resolve the
situation (understandably) and submitted their nominees directly. At
that point we decided to just go with the original nominees, and to
suggest that the IGC support the also qualified APC nominees. We
realized that this passed on more latitude to IGF decision makers than
we would like, but it seemed the most acceptable option. As well, we
made some preliminary recommendations on avoiding a repetition.

To my knowledge the process faltered due to a convergence of timing,
process, health, and knowledge/experience issues. I doubt they would
recur, but the recommendations we made might be a first step in taking a
look at the situation.

This "Further Thoughts" was written with extreme reluctance as I'm
certain Jacqueline entered this effort with all good intents. Things
fell apart and I'm certain there's no one more sorry than she. (I wish
here well.) I started out saying this was “off the record” as I wish
there was a more private, humane way to review what has happened. But
apparently there's not.

I think a review of process rather than an appeal is appropriate. But if
an Appeal is desired, I will help out, as I'm sure will the other
committee members.

However, I think we should move on and put our energy into efforts such
as enhancing the Human Rights document.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt

P.S. If people have additional questions I will do my best to answer
them off-line.