[governance] I'm "virtually" baffled - a side-glance at "remote participation"

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Feb 25 08:34:53 EST 2012

On Feb 24, 2012, at 6:58 PM, Paul Lehto wrote:

> Here we have a case where the basically honest, intelligent person who selects an adults-only chat room is essentially entrapped by a dishonest cop lying wildly about both age and gender, and no actual minor was either involved or even arguably harmed, and yet for some reason this is ONLY  unseemly for the defendant Mr. Ritter?   It seems to me that the overbreadth of the law in this area is also shameful and embarrassing, the fact that internet speech/conduct is more regulated than actual physical sexual contact is shameful and embarrassing, and (if you read a legal case in this area) the kind of legal gymnastic acrobatics that too many courts engage in so as to ensure the punishment of defendants like Mr. Ritter who have not created a single actual victim is shameful and embarrassing and also a form of (legal) obscenity and abuses and degrades the law in a way that is metaphorically pornographic.

Don't cops in the US face legal penalty for tricking US citizens into 'unlawful behavior' (or rather, hypothetical intentions, because that man did not in fact have sex with an underage girl, right)?

This is one of the good examples with regards to the phenomena that those who do not understand Internet try to regulate it.

Also, this case smells badly of intentional trap to prosecute that specific person. This of course is not practiced only in the US.

Daniel