[governance] Remote Participation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Feb 23 06:57:40 EST 2012

Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think that this full discussion and support for RP is very important and
> exciting.
>
> I think that using the occasion of the recent meetings as an example and
> illustration is a mistake. I agree with Adam that the tech glitches during
> last week's meetings should not even be addressed--these are obvious.
> Placing emphasis on tech details draws attention from the more valid, and
> more important principles. I know I am repeating myself, but I think they
> boil down to just one:
>
> RP must be institutionalized in meeting processes.

I totally agree in many respects.

And in the context of this discussion, which is about a specific
planned IGC statement, I have no objection when those who have been
following the developments more closely suggest that it would be
better to avoid including a mention of the specific recent glitches.

However I think that it is important to emphasize that appropriate
procedures for addressing problems of technical glitches need to be
established.

In my opinion, there should be a transparent process of determining
and reporting accurately to what extent the RP infrastructure and
processes have been working or not, and of determining the causes
of any glitches that have occurred, and improving processes and
infrastructure with the aim of preventing any reoccurrance of such
glitches. I would view this as important and integral aspects of
institutionalizing RP in the meeting processes.

It is possible to create highly reliable processes and highly reliable
infrastructure, but only if the will to do so is there.

Greetings,
Norbert