FW: [governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 15:42:39 EST 2012

Effective governance is in large part about the perception of legitimacy.
In the context of the Internet it is clear that in order for the governance
processes (including those processes about process as the IGF to a
considerable extent is) to have legitimacy there must be participation by
the various stakeholders.  Certain of the stakeholder groups notably the
private sector and the technical community as supported largely by the
private sector have a clear set of (financial) interests in effective
governance.  Governments as providing the regulatory framework within which
the Internet operates clearly have set of interests in ensuring that
national regulatory (and other) priorities are reflected/accommodated within
the goverance structures.

There is also a clear public interest in Internet governance which under
other circumstances might be represented by governments but in the
particular circumstances of the Internet -- because of its rapidly changing,
somewhat technical and global reach -- is proving somewhat difficult to
channel public interest perspectives/requirements through conventional
governmental structures.

This means that the public interest (or in another way the non-commercial,
non-technical, non-regulatory interests of Internet users) needs to be
represented in Internet Governance or the process lacks legitimacy.

It is in the overall interests of the Internet and all stakeholders that
Internet Governance is perceived as legitimate (note the current issues
around the perceived illegitimacy of the ACTA process).

Thus it is in the overall interest of Internet Governance (and the Internet
Governance processes) that there is a civil society participation (the
comparable OECD processes have already moved some considerable way along the
path to the recognition of this.

The question then becomes how to ensure funding for this process.  The most
appropriate and fairest way for funding such inclusion would be through
taxation however, since there is no global governance mechanism through
which such taxation might be enforced this is a major problem. However, a
few pennies from each of the domain registrations/renewals would more than
adequately fund the entire Internet Governance process including ensuring
public interest participation in the MAG/IGF etc.etc.

Such a contribution to orderly and effective Internet governance processes
should surely be of considerable interest to those most directly concerned
with ensuring an orderly and effective operation of the Internet.

As per Deidre's earlier comments and other anecdotal information it would
appear that there is already considerable support coming informally from
that quarter for CS participation in the IGF and other Internet Governance
processes.  Perhaps those who have been doing this informally may wish to
take a leadership in looking to formalize this process.

Mike