[governance] Re: Feb 2012 Geneva meetings [Answers]

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Feb 12 05:20:40 EST 2012

In message
<CAMz5XN6jM8qYa6O=6-sgnwuU2iHbuYBx-XtEqJzoZmRiS3x2PQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
10:45:38 on Sat, 11 Feb 2012, Deirdre Williams
<williams.deirdre at gmail.com> writes
>1. The critical issue of the few civil society representatives able to
>attend the MAG meeting this week coming.
>
>a) This is partly the result of people having resigned without their
>places being filled. Is there a process to address this circumstance?

The only "replacement" process I can see in place is when certain
government seats are passed on to another individual from the same
country.

>If not why not? If there is, why didn't it happen at the time?

For whatever reason (and I don't mean to imply any blame) there have
only been three "generations" of MAG, the original one from 2006, a 1/3
rotation done in 2007 and another 1/3 rotation done in 2009.

We are, of course, about to get a 2/3 rotation in 2012.

As a result, the eight individuals named by Bill Drake, two have already
served for 6yrs, four for 5yrs, and two for 3yrs.

It's no surprise that some of them feel that they've "done their time"
and wish to move on, and with all of them potentially being rotated off,
I would expect this current meeting to have somewhat of an "end of term"
feel about it.
--
Roland Perry