AW: [governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Sat Dec 22 20:41:05 EST 2012

Another very explicit reference can be found in a paper titled
ITU WSIS THEMATIC MEETING ON COUNTERING SPAM - SPAM IN THE INFORMATION
SOCIETY: BUILDING FRAMEWORKS FOR INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION
http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/spam/contributions/Background%20Paper_Building%20
frameworks%20for%20Intl%20Cooperation.pdf

("This paper was prepared by Claudia Sarrocco, Policy Analyst, International
Telecommunication Union, for the ITU World Summit on the Information Society
(WSIS) Thematic Meeting on Countering Spam. The annex was compiled by
Cristina Bueti, ITU. This meeting was organized under the ITU New
Initiatives Programme of the Office of the Secretary-General of the ITU.")

There are a number of references throughout the text, notably under heading
2.1 "What is spam?":

"Several stakeholders have given definitions of spam, and although there are
common points, there is still no universally accepted definition. Broadly
speaking, spam includes all electronic messages that are unsolicited or
unwanted, sent to a large number of users (bulk) without regard to the
identity of the individual user, usually having commercial purposes, and
that can include viruses that propagate via e-mail, or fraud and scam
mechanisms."

-- Peter