[governance] Facebook customer outreach on privacy policy backfires

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:25:37 EST 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
> <salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Snip>
> >> This is why there is need for regulators
>
> Who would be these "regulators" you speak of?
>
>  because even with the freedom to
> >> "self-regulate", you will always have those who abuse their "powers".
> How
> >> different is this "abuse" I wonder from an "abuse of public office"?
> Even if
> >> facebook is not traditionally "government" but the fact that it has
> control
> >> and the power to wield its influence arbitrarily which reminds me of
> what
> >> Marilia had raised this year on the list.
>
> What is arbitrary about this, the rules were published in advance?
> Are you suggesting that even
> though less than 1% of people voted that their choice should stand?
> that hardly seems 'democratic" to me.
>
> Good point McTim. The more I think about it, the more I think that the
philosophy behind it is the same which countries use when they pass laws on
censorship and justify it by saying that it fulfills Article 19 of the
ICCPR in that they made a law but they forget that sometimes even the
exceptions in the rules are "abused". Have "ts" crossed and "i"s dotted
don't necessarily mean that power is not "abused. Another example from a
different industry would be the financial crisis a few years ago in the US
when "self regulation" did nothing to stop some from "paying themselves".

I am thinking of the German regulators who admonished Facebook for the use
of "the like tag".

> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim