[governance] Report of the Pacific Youth Tech Camp [ICT/Internet Governance and Mobile Apps]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 13:29:56 EST 2012

Dear All,

I thought I would share this here after reading Norbert's news about the
regulatory approach in Cambodia. I was shocked and somewhat disappointed.
Technology can be harnessed to teach students to be more responsible and to
learn about their world. Even how we facilitate traditional curriculum has
to be revamped.

http://www.brightpathfoundation.org/perspectives/education-2-0-technology-enabled-learning-for-the-digital-age/is
an article written by Bevil Wooding, the Executive Director of
BrightPath Foundation.

*About the Youth TechCamp*

We recently hosted a 7 day Youth Tech Camp see:
http://youthtechcamp.brightpathfoundation.org/ where the first Module was
on Introduction to ICT and Internet Governance and we had excellent
facilitation from the likes of APNIC and a guest speaker from ICANN.
Benjamin Mathews and I took the youth through critical building blocks and
we organised learning from a Pacific perspective. These youth which
included high school students, tertiary students and professionals under
35, I must admit the oldest one was 55 (it showed that people could not be
kept away as they were equally eager to learn) developed key policy
considerations on various challenges for 7 countries. 100 participants came
from around 8 countries from around the Pacific. The material they
developed will be sent to the various countries. This is part of a long
term development strategy to build capacity so they can be active
contributors in their countries, the Pacific region and global forums as
well.

Module 2 was a Mobile App Development Training where youth were encouraged
to harness local content and whilst the youth made lots of pitches, they
settled for 5 and the youth worked on creating them and we had an awesome
and fantastic time. The Apps were all civic apps (that was how the youth
wanted it) :):) We had 80 participants in this Module.

The camp was also covered by the national and regional news, see:
http://www.pasifikanexus.nu/media/press/

Warm Regards,

Sala

On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 6:08 AM, Norbert Klein <nhklein at gmx.net> wrote:

>  According to *The Cambodia Daily* of Friday, 7 December 2012, the
> Ministry of Post and Telecommunications has recently issued a decree that
> says, among other points:* *
>
> *No Internet Cafe is allowed to operate within an area closer than 500
> meters from any school. *
>
> Given the fact that Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia, has many
> schools, it has to be assumed that not many regions remain outside of these
> 500-m-circles around all schools; it also has to be assumed that the
> majority of already existing Internet Cafes, located in areas of social
> activities including schools, will have to close down.
>
> This order is issued to supposedly protect young people from bad
> influences: Violating “traditions”, exposing them to pornography,
> preventing them from playing prohibited games – but none of these issues
> has any clear definition. And there is no clarity about the legal authority
> to interpret and enforce these measures.
>
> The regulation is also to protect users from using drugs, doing money
> laundering, kidnapping, and human trafficking – all these activities are
> anyway illegal – their prohibiting is covered by different laws – why
> include these in the new order on to Internet Cafes?
>
> As for some context: according to a recent survey, there are more than
> 600,000 Facebook users in Cambodia. Many of them do not have computers, but
> access the Internet from Internet Cafes.
>
> =
>
> Of course I know that the Dubai conference is dealing with many important
> issues on a different level. But I find it really surprising that these
> regulations come forward while – I assume – also Cambodian government
> representatives are attending the ITU conference in Dubai.
>
> I wanted to share this information – shocking in its general scope, and at
> the same time extremely vague. I would of course appreciate to receive
> comments, which I then might share locally.
>
> Norbert Klein
> Phnom Penh
> Cambodia

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/