[governance] US Music File-Sharer Must Pay Damages

Norbert Klein nhklein at gmx.net
Sat Aug 25 06:09:32 EDT 2012

Thanks - and I will share my comment also on the Internet Society
Chapter Support list.

On 8/25/2012 4:45 PM, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
> This "damages" figure is totally bogus. Here is a good example of US
> legal terrorism.
> Louis
> - - -
>
> On Sat, Aug 25, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Fahd A. Batayneh
> <fahd.batayneh at gmail.com <mailto:fahd.batayneh at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19370862
>
>     Joel Tenenbaum must pay $675,000 (£426,000) in damages awarded to
>     the major US music labels after his request for a retrial was
>     turned down.

 From the text above:

*Mr Tenenbaum was 16 years old when a letter was sent to his parents'
home accusing him of illegal file-sharing.*

*He was asked to pay $5,250 (£3,319) for downloading seven songs. He
claims he offered $500 (£316) which was all he could afford at the time,
and it was declined.*

>     Fahd

For those who may not know:

*Internet Society*
*Internet Hall of Fame 2012*

    Louis Pouzin - Pouzin invented the datagram and an early packet
    communications network, known as CYCLADES. His work was influential
    among Vint Cerf, Robert Kahn and others in the development of TCP/IP
    Protocols.

Is the Internet Society going to comment on this judgement?

Norbert Klein