[governance] Interesting News Media coverage of the IGF

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Sep 27 04:42:45 EDT 2011

On 27/09/2011, at 11:24 AM, Tracy F. Hackshaw @ Google wrote:

> LONDON (Reuters) - Internet activists will this week make an 11th-hour attempt to stop governments seizing more control of the Web that has fuelled Arab revolutions, enabled mass leaks of U.S. diplomatic cables and allowed online piracy to thrive.

A lot of this article makes me wince, especially one of the comments attributed to me.

> "The IGF is really the last best hope for this process. If it fails, what we're going to get is India, Brazil, South Africa, China, Kazakhstan, Russia and so on putting forward the idea that we need an intergovernmental process."

In the context of the actual interview I gave, I distinguished between the IBSA and the China et al proposals and that there was hope that the IBSA model would actually complement the IGF and respect multi-stakeholder principles, but that we just don't know enough about it yet and haven't been enough involved.

Anyway, I envision posting to this list within the next couple of hours with a summary of the IGC meeting last night.  There were some important issues raised and some decisions we will all need to make.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
www.consumersinternational.org
Twitter @ConsumersInt

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.