[governance] IANA contract to be opened for competitive bidding on November 4

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Oct 25 07:20:38 EDT 2011

On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:20 AM, Ian Peter wrote:

> Probably either....
>
>> On Oct 25, 2011, at 2:20 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 1. As you say, US Government deciding to hand over control. As you say,
>>> fairly unlikely.
>>
>> By "hand over control", what do you mean?  Is this to ICANN or another party?

It's not inconceivable to phase out the unique USG role. If I had
to make this happen, one possible approach would be the following:

1) Seek common support among the community that the scope of the
   IANA Functions contract should not increase at at any time.
   (Basic principle is to draw a boundary around the situation so
   it does not grow while one is working on long-term solution)

2) Work to get multiple governments to enter into Affirmation of
   Commitments with ICANN.  Ensure that the reviews required by
   such agreements are in common with the periodic reviews already
   being performed.

3) Presuming ICANN award of the IANA Function resolictation, make
   use of the initial three year performance period to transition
   the IANA function of protocol registration from being directed
   by the IANA function contract to instead being performed by an
   independent contract between IAB(ISOC) and ICANN.  Make clear
   that this task should be omitted in any renewal terms.  While
   IAB could easily have any organization do this task, they should
   voluntarily agree to have ICANN perform it, and in turn agree
   to utilize ICANN for technical coordination of any assignments
   which have implications to the DNS or address communities (Yes,
   for those familiar with history, this is recreating the "PSO")

4) Repeating the principle, the Regional Internet Registries
   should formalize their relationship with ICANN via contract,
   and then with the IAB's endorsement, should make clear that
   the task of maintaining the IANA number registry of does not
   need to be included in the IANA Function second renewal period
   as it is already being provided by ICANN to the community.

5) The last step is slightly challenging.  Having worked over the
   previous 5 years to make sure that the Domain Name portion of
   ICANN has a distinct identity which includes all parties with
   views on Domain Name policy, this Domain Name Policy group
   reaches an agreement with the IAB that it will contract with
   ICANN for root zone operation, and then enters an agreement
   for ICANN to do so.  It also agrees in turn to utilize ICANN
   for technical coordination of any DNS matters which may have
   implications to the address or Internet protocol communities.
   Once this contract has been entered, ICANN and its constituent
   components for technical coordination (IAB, RIRs, Domain Name
   Policy group) make clear that no renewal of the IANA Functions
   contract is required at all, and those governments supporting
   this "refreshed" ICANN model would need to make clear that it
   must be allowed to stand on its own.

Folks will note that I have put the IAB(/IETF/ISOC) in a somewhat unique
role of having to concur with any changes to the system. This is not
because I believe that IAB has unilateral authority in these matters,
but do believe that the IAB (as the creator of these Internet identifier
spaces via its protocol work) when combined with inclusive multistakeholder
policy development organizations using open & transparent processes actually
do constitute valid consensus authorities if also operating under the ongoing
oversight as provided by ICANN (including its GAC and AoC processes.)

FYI,
/John

p.s.  Oh yes, disclaimer time: the above thoughts are solely my own private
      views.  They most certainly do not represent any organization whatsoever.
      May cause drowsiness.  Do not operate heavy machinery while reading this
      email. Past Internet performance is no guide to future performance. Use
      caution: email contents may be very hot.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org