[governance] I think we debated this ~7 years ago, but it seems to have come up again...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sun Oct 23 05:29:01 EDT 2011

On Oct 22, 2011, at 19:00 , Carlos A. Afonso wrote:

> Wow, wow, wow... let us be less dramatic. There are at several national
> Internet registries in successful operation (Brazil, Japan, Mexico among
> others). For a full list:

We need not forget, that not all governments are the same. Further, even a "good" government can go "bad".
Most importantly, Governments change. When that happens, there are new rules. That is not the proper environment for Internet development and it's avoidance so far has provided we have the developed Internet of today.

In Europe there used to exist "national" internet registries, named at the time "Last Resort registries". With the development of knowledge etc there were abandoned. In many countries, a local ISP business will rather go to a "neutral" central registry, than to a "competitor" local registry. This all is a complicated matter, but the current system works and is stable.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org