[governance] Moving the mailing list, revisited

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Oct 3 01:02:17 EDT 2011

Bill Drake has brought to my attention that one of the former CPSR
officers is paying a monthly fee to host our mailing list, whereas
previously I had been told that two years had been paid up in advance so
that there was less urgency to move.

If that is wrong, then it would be nice of us to move the list sooner
rather than later.  I raised the idea of moving it back in January
(http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2011-01/msg00110.html), but
the response at that time was indecisive so nothing happened.

At this stage my recommended option is for me to move it to
igf-online.net, which uses the same software, so all of the old archives
will easily be preserved.  Unavoidably, the address of the list would
change from governance at lists.cpsr.org to governance at igf-online.net.  It
is also unavoidably dependent on my and/or Consumers International's
ongoing patronage.

However this is a better option than moving the list to the APC server
which hosts our website (assuming that were possible), as the latter
does not run the same mailing list software, so it would be harder to
migrate.  Also, it is still reliant on someone else's ongoing patronage.

Alternatively we can wait and see whether the IGC decides to raise some
funding, in which case it could pay for its own hosting and the website
and mailing list could live together.  This is the best longer term
option, because is allows us to be self-reliant for as long as the
funding is there.

A decision on this needs to be made...

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator*

Consumers International (CI) is the world federation of consumer groups
that, working together with its members, serves as the only independent
and authoritative global voice for consumers. With over 220 member
organisations in 115 countries, we are building a powerful international
movement to help protect and empower consumers everywhere.
_www.consumersinternational.org <http://www.consumersinternational.org/>_
_Twitter @ConsumersInt <http://twitter.com/Consumers_Int>_

Read our email confidentiality notice
<http://www.consumersinternational.org/email-confidentiality>. Don't