[governance] Proposal to Merge Website and Mailing List Consultations [Administration/Logistics]

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Nov 20 06:44:24 EST 2011

In message <4EC865B8.6060004 at gmx.net>, at 09:28:08 on Sun, 20 Nov 2011,
nhklein <nhklein at gmx.net> writes
>Thanks - but please help me to clarify further: is my e-mail address -
>nhklein at gmx.net - also violating RFC 1592, or does this only relate to
>specifically registered domains with .net?

I've always thought it's OK for the administrators (staff) of network
providers to have @.net email addresses, because the rfc only mentions
"customers" as a counter-example - although some fundamentalists
disagree and say that only the network computers can[1].

Assuming you aren't a staff member of GMX, that would mean such an email
address was clearly outside the stated recommendations of the rfc.

But when I set up an ISP in 1994, only the administrative role functions
of "sales", "support" etc had .net email addresses, with the staff
having .co.uk email addresses, on the instance of a more fundamentalist
colleague!

They way we differentiated staff from customers was by giving staff a
short email address such as roland@, rather than dotted ones like
roland.perry@ (which I had later, having left the company).

[1] For an example of a computer with an email address, see a list bot
      like governance at lists.cpsr.org

--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org