[governance] Is really Bulgarian Cyrillic .?? (.bg) similar to other Latin ccTLDs?

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 12:35:26 EST 2011

> Unfortunately the policy as written seems to leave the decision of forming
> panel with more expertise to the panel itself.  This is of course absurd,
as is
> the lack of appeal.  This is, therefore, the kind of case where Board
oversight
> is required to allow a proper review and appeal.

[IAS:] Yes, I also have noticed that the first Panel has given a choice to
engage other 3-experts through a request to ICANN, if they feel it is
necessary.

> In any case, the panel is not prohibited from acting in an open manner or
> from consulting with an applicant as to the proper composition of an
> additional review panel.

[IAS:] According to my knowledge, the DNS Stability Panel was an external
company "M/s Interisle Consulting Group" and was engaged on two year
contract. They were paid $200,000 per application evaluation. ICANN may not
be able to ask them to act in an open manner. Now, ICANN has assigned
another contract to this same company for the evaluation of the Applicants
Potential for new gTLD. I am afraid of that the acceptance of the new gTLD
is dependent to the company, which did not completed the formalities of the
DNS Stability Assessment and related Issues of the IDN ccTLD.

> Sometimes expecting a panel to do the right thing, is
> the best response to  a problem caused by public assertion of an error
having
> been made.  I beleive this whole issue could probably be dealt with by
ICANN
> and its DNS Stability Panel working with the applicant and creating a
truly
> impartial panel that had the appropriate international expertise to
> investigate the cases of harmful confusing similarity in IDN ccTLDs.
>
> In the meantime, in the spirit of bottom-up activism, I have taken it upon
> myself, after my trip to Bulgaria, to work on a possible draft of a
possible
> letter to the ICANN Board on this issue and should be able to send a draft
> this list in a few days for consideration.

[IAS:] Thank you Avri, if you need my help, I am also available to help in
this regard.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org