[governance] Towards Singapore

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sun May 22 09:08:45 EDT 2011

Hi,

I find the suggestion of a 5.1 followed by a 5.2, 53. ...5.n  to be just another way to suggest further delay in another guise.  Yet Another Delay.
I would be yet another surrender to the governments' demands and would be yet another nail in ICANN coffin.

The governments' advice has been heard time and again.

And as for the story governments keep selling that nobody listened to them until now, I deny its validity.  They were invited to meetings all the way through the policy development process.  Progress was reported to them and their input was requested time and time again.  I know because I was the one begging them for timely participation.  It was just that they decided that they only would speak to the board.  Of course the decisions was yet in the Board's hands, so there was nothing to speak to the Board about.  The lesser beings working on the policy recommendations were not important enough for the GAC's consideration, so they waited until the end of the process to get involved.

Additionally the main impetus behind governments' current push are the Intellectual Property lobbies of the world.  And their intent has not changed since the early 90's - to stop new gTLDs from ever happening in any way they could.  They have succeed for nearly decade, lets not help them succeed further by coming up with new ways to delay the delay the decisions that came out of the multistakeholder process even further.

If the ICANN Board shies away from its decision yet again, the impetus will grow even further to shed the shackles of the ICANN process and just get moving with alternate arrangements.  Sooner or later that alternate root will get going.  The Russians and Chinese threatened several years ago to start separate root if they did not get their IDNs right away, and ICANN succumbed.  It is unfortunate that no social entrepreneur is standing in the wings nearly ready to spring out a well considered and operationally sound DNS replacement for what will only be seen as a moribund ICANN if Singapore ends up giving us Yet Another Delay.    I will certainly do whatever I can to help create a new root if ICANN fails yet again to release the new gTLDs promised to world in the 90's.

When I was on WGIG one of my complaints was that ICANN had not lived up to its promise on new gTLDs.  I was brought into ICANN after WGIG by its Nomcom to put my effort where my mouth was.  I have done so and am beginning to see that it may be futile.  Might just be time to start working on the next option, an option that cannot be controlled by the Intellectual Property lobby and governments.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org