[governance] remote participation via standardized protocols (was Re: Open consultations)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun May 22 07:45:32 EDT 2011

In message <20110521154705.55F2915C0DF at quill.bollow.ch>, at 17:47:05 on
Sat, 21 May 2011, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes

>Sigh. Roland, did you truly not understand that in this entire
>thread what I'm talking about is that in my opinion, there is
>not enough practical emphasis on standardization of protocols
>and data formats for communication via the internet (in the
>sense of formal development of suitable open standards and their
>adoption), and that this lack of emphasis is (of course together
>with other factors) causing practical problems?

Of course I realise that this is your opinion. I've worked with people
who (for example) refuse to participate when MS-Word documents are
circulated, on the grounds that it's a proprietary technology.

However, my opinion is that without the pragmatic use of the tools we
*do* have (like Adobe Connect, let alone MS-Word) things would be even
worse when trying to participate in the meetings which will carry on
regardless of whether there's a suitable open standards remote
participation solution, or whether there's someone in the audience who
has opted out of reading MS-Word documents.

I'm the record encouraging the development of an open standards
solution, but am realistic about the time and effort involved.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org