[governance] the forthcoming MAG meeting and open consultations

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 5 06:05:50 EDT 2011

In message <1FB9EC17-F0F5-447D-88B1-AD22DB1DA24C at uzh.ch>, at 10:47:15 on
Thu, 5 May 2011, William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch> writes

 >...at present it would seem that the consultation and
 >MAG will have very light attendance, and if a lot of people from the
 >government missions decide to come over that could affect things.

In the past I think Governments have shied away from getting involved in
specific decisions like "why don't we merge workshop 109 and 192 because
they are both about mobile Internet" [a real, but random, example, no
reflection intended on the organisers]

Or "we can't support workshop 192 because only two of the speakers have
been named, so we can't verify diversity, and they've failed to nominate
a remote moderator which was one of the requirements". [Same disclaimer]

But those are the sort of things that will be discussed and decided on
the day.

 >Bottom line, the RP needs to be nailed down.

And if remote participants want to have any hope of following the
proceedings, they will need access to a frequently updated chart of
workshops, their status, and which slots they are currently in. It's
difficult enough to keep track even when you are in the room!

Presumably the MAG is already working on their own 'traffic light
scorecard' for the workshops, via their mailing list, as in previous
years??
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org