[governance] Is This An Issue for Internet Governance/Internet Human Rights?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jul 22 12:12:15 EDT 2011

In message
<CAD=1OvcQtPCjSmPFkxewq5Qzq8gof+ahbO+2XDDCsyxU0NKTzg at mail.gmail.com>, at
10:16:52 on Fri, 22 Jul 2011, Paul Lehto <lehto.paul at gmail.com> writes
>> If we aren't careful, then everything we do becomes an Internet
>> Governance issue (if some aspect of the activity takes place on the
>> Internet).
>
>If we abstain from setting a protective policy, that is an internet
>policy as well.  It's a style of internet governance: to abstain from
>public policy in favor of private or corporate rule-setting via
>contracts, terms of service, market forces, etc.

The public policy might be to rely upon private/corporate rule making,
but a large number of things (see my list below for some examples) have
statutory policies in place, although often stronger within a single
jurisdiction than when cross-border issues arise.

>I don't know if Roland Perry would go this far, but the line to be
>crossed to truly say something is "not an internet governance issue"
>is to show that either
>
>(1) the activity involved doesn't involve the internet or impact the
>internet, OR

That's a given.

>(2) the internet activity in question is beyond the legitimate power of
>any actual or potential governance entity (whether public or
>corporate),  including being beyond any claims for the *reasonable*
>extension of some existing public or corporate power.

A lot of things which are very important to Internet users are included
within existing (or reasonable extension of) of e.g. telecoms, consumer
protection, tax, copyright or privacy regulation; and would seem to be
excluded as a result. Is that really what you intended?
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org