[governance] Re: The Internet (as we know it) can never be "private"

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Jul 17 05:50:27 EDT 2011

In message
<CAJwbTiBXEEb7OEcO89nkTW8sOoxS2ZbFBbN-SVat-pXGzE7u_w at mail.gmail.com>, at
19:44:01 on Sun, 17 Jul 2011, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes
>You probably have read this already but I invite you to read the
>article below:
> Esmat, B and Fernandez ,J.  International Internet Connections Costs
>
>in Reforming Internet Governance (Perspectives
>from the Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG))

http://www.wgig.org/docs/book/Baher_Esmat_and_Juan_Fern%C3%A1ndez%20.pdf

I'm glad it agrees with me that it's the subscribers who pay (not the
ISPs) but it goes on to talk about the completely broken analogy with
telecoms half circuits. I'm very familiar with all of that, having paid
something like half a million dollars a year to lease a line from UK to
New York when I first set up an ISP in about 1995. I also sat on a
subgroup which fed into the ITU's D.50 report.

I won't further expand on this here, other than to say that the
underlying issues were covered when I said "there's a need for bold
investment, when it comes to laying new International connectivity".
Half-circuits are a way of recovering the costs of having laid cables in
the past, through a "pay as you use" strategy. People forget that using
half-circuits to provide Internet connectivity is using the previous
(telephony) technology to try to deliver the new (Internet) product.
It's bound not to be an optimal way of doing it - you need to lay new
connectivity and have a new paradigm.

Meanwhile, I wish I could buy "half air fares" where the Kenyan
organisers pay half my costs to fly from London to Nairobi!

Roland.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org