[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 16:25:50 EDT 2011

Paul,

I'm not an expert on CIRA although at this point I should declare that I
have been nominated (by a civil society organization) as a candidate for the
CIRA Board!

That being said I think your comments are based on mistaken assumptions and
are overall somewhat unfortunate.

As I understand the situation CIRA has an election among its members (those
holding .ca registrations) for its governance body--its Board. There are 3
ex officio members on a fifteen person Board--a representative of the
overall regulator/policy maker (government); the Executive Director: and the
founder/registrar (Canada's equivalent of John Postel)--quite normal I would
have thought for this kind of agency.

I'm not sure what standards of democracy you are using but in my limited
observation this would seem to me by most conventional standards to be at
least reasonably "democratic". Always remembering of course, that CIRA is
only concerned with the 1.5 million or so .ca registrants--there are
approximately 25 million Internet users in Canada whose overall Internet
interests presumably are covered through the ordinary give and take of the
(democratic) political system and for specialized purposes participation in
forums such as ICANN, the IGF and so on.

I would very much like to see Canada and Canadians more involved in ensuring
a "democratic" Internet (however that might be defined), but at this point I
wouldn't see CIRA as being the appropriate vehicle for that participation
since its interests/mandate and constituency is far too narrow.

Mike