[governance] FW: TP: city government exercising policy on Google Applications / consumer rights / Consumer Protection Act / trial period

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 20:54:07 EDT 2011

hello,

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 12:33 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 July 2011 09:47 PM, McTim wrote:
>
> If anyone is blackmailing anyone here it is the the Taiwanese blackmailing Google?  Google is the one to pay the fine.  If we were really serious about "intermediate liability" we would say that Google supplies the marketplace ONLY and that app developers are the ones who must figure out how to abide by local laws, no?
>
> From the news item
>
> “Android Market already provides a 15-minute refund window for all paid apps — which reflects the fact that apps are delivered over-the-air instantly and most users who request a refund [could] do so within minutes of their purchase,” the company said in the statement.
>
> It should be obvious that whoever controls the market and provides a 15 minute refund window must also be the one considered responsible for *not* providing a 7 day window as per the requirements of the local law. When Google is accepting that it is the responsible party I am not sure, McTim, why do you have to play being more loyal than the king.

I prefer "more Catholic than the Pope" actually. ;-)  Seriously, it's
not blackmail, it's extortion by the Taiwanese.

The bottom line is the CS just told the OECD "thanks, but no thanks"
in re: intermediate liability.  Does IGC support the CSISAC? If so,
then we should support Google in this case, or so it appears to me!

Either Google is just aggregating content (apps) or they are a
provider of content.  It seems to me they are just aggregating here.

When you use the Android Market you agree to the ToS and Policies:

http://www.google.com/mobile/android/market-policies.html

"Chargeback and Billing Disputes: Google is not responsible for
billing disputes arising from purchases on Android Market. All billing
issues should be directed to the Developer in question, the payment
processor, or your credit card company as appropriate.

Customer Support: Support for the use and operation of the Market
(including how to find, purchase, download, return and remove
Products) is provided by Google in the user interface of the Market
application. Google does not provide customer support for Products
distributed by Developers on Android Market. Each Developer is
responsible for determining the level of customer support they provide
and you should contact them directly."

--
Cheers,

McTim