[governance] Advance notice of the need to move this list

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jan 10 21:50:45 EST 2011

This is to seek feedback on options for moving the IGC governance
mailing list, because the CPSR which has hosted our list is no longer
operating and cannot maintain its free service to us indefinitely.
There is no immediate urgency, because we have about two years before we
have to vacate the cpsr.org mailing list server, but it is best to plan
now.

I can see three options.

1. Asking another like-minded organisation to host it.  I have checked
with the APC who host our Web site, and they say that their mailing list
server runs different software (Mailman), so it would be difficult and
time-consuming to try to shift our archives over to their server.

2. Move our mailing list to the igf-online.net server that hosts the IGF
Community Site, which is where I have created the subsidiary mailing
lists for our IGC working groups.  It runs the same software that we use
now, so migrating the list with archives intact would be fairly easy.

3. The other option is that we raise some money and hire our own
dedicated virtual server.  We could, in that case, move our Web site and
database over there too.

I would recommend option 2.  The igf-online.net server was originally
established for the Rio IGF meeting in 2007 as the successor to the
earlier IGF Community Site at igf2006.info that I co-developed.  It is
currently hosted by my employer Consumers International.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong

Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer
groups from around the world for four days of debate and discussion on
the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress

Twitter #CICongress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
necessary.