[governance] Phase 2 of improvements to the IGC Web site

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sun Jan 9 22:03:24 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 17:20 -0500, Avri Doria wrote:

> Jus so you know, if you didn't already, I think that renewing ones membership through the annual assertion that one makes before voting is a critical component of membership.
>
> I do not think that someone who voted once 3 years ago and never did again remains a member.
>
> So no, it is not the act of voting that matters, it is the yearly assertion that one subscribes to the charter that has been linked to the vote.  Perhaps there need to be a way to make that assertion separate from the vote, and that may, though I am not sure, require a small tweak in the charter.

I think it would require this.  Anyway, I have taken the initiative of
creating a new mailing list for those who want to discuss this or other
possible charter amendments.  I'm on the list.  I haven't added anyone
else, but you can add yourself by visiting this page:

http://igf-online.net/wws/subscribe/charter

>  We should not in any case allow for someone to remain a member without at least some yearly reaffirmation, no matter how that is done. And that is what I think the list being created by Jeremy does - which I believe is contra the charter.

Then you are worrying needlessly; it does not do that.  The algorithm
that is used for issuing the annual membership list from the database
currently only includes those who self-asserted their membership during
the last election.

It would be technically very easy to allow people to publicly
self-assert membership but not to vote, and/or to make their assertion
at a different time than the elections.  It just remains to make sure
the charter supports this, and that other members agree with you.

Since most of those who have been objecting have been making the
opposite point to you - that membership should *not* be conditioned on
anything other than list membership and agreeing with the charter (even
privately), it is not clear that such an amendment would fly.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong

Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer
groups from around the world for four days of debate and discussion on
the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress

Twitter #CICongress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
necessary.