[governance] Spectrum for development and access

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 13:02:39 EST 2011

All the best with your proposal Anriette.

I think that this is critical as one cannot speak about access without
addressing the regulatory frameworks in different jurisdictions surrounding
spectrum as it directly impacts access.

The way spectrum is managed directly affects cost, product/technology and
ultimately level of access for the end user.

There is a useful publication by the ITU:  *The Application of Information
and Communication Technologies in the Least Developed Countries for
Sustained Economic Growth
2004.*

However, there will be different perspectives for "Commercial Enterprises"
and civil society. Commercial Enterprises are more likely to advocate to
protect its survival and it would not be a commercially viable entity if it
did not, especially if its purpose of existence is to make money and reduce
its losses. On the other hand the regulator is free in choosing the method
of regulation, sadly particularly in the absence of clear ICT Strategies as
is common in developing countries with ill resourced regulators and this can
also impinge on licensed operators rights. At the same time, the clarion
voice of the rest in civil society is important as it would help the
regulators or policy analysts see the bigger picture.