[governance] Re: moving more

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Feb 26 12:43:40 EST 2011

On 26 Feb 2011, at 18:24, parminder wrote:

> On Saturday 26 February 2011 09:38 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is the rumor coming out of the CSTD IGF WG meeting that the Civil Society representatives bought into G77 proposals for plenary style outcomes, true?
>>

> While I entirely give to the dominant discourse (including the rumour system) to be able to quickly construct the terms of a conversation.... on  a more serious note, two responses, as below

Information comes out of all of thing quite quickly.  and as i said it was rumor and i was checking on its truth.

>> If so, since this isn't a consensus view in the IGC, I would be interested in knowing why the CS representatives took that position.
>>

> (1) what was proposed, not by the G77 but by one developing country alone, has very little variance, if any, with the kind of stuff that has been discussed often on the IGC list, and most part of it agreed to commonly, or as one of the alternatives, in IGC statements

Yes as Lee said I might be wrong and such government centric views might indeed be the common civil society view now.

While I don't know what country brought it up - nor incidentally who in CS brought it up.  it is a well known g77 position - no matter who brought it up.

> (2) And Avri, you know it too well, that civil society reps on this WG or in MAG speak representing the position of their organization and/or their constituency  and only when they specifically say they speak for IGC are they constrained to stay strictly within IGC consensus position.

Actually in this case, i.e. the CSTD IGF WG, I though you were actually representatives of the IGC which had set itself up as the representatives of CS.  On MAG, yes there is a specific 'operating in their independent capacity' notion,  but for the CSTD I thought representatives were sent.

Buess i am wrong about that too.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org