[governance] America's Internet -- Now as Good as Angola's

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 11:28:58 EST 2011

Timothy Karr <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr>

Campaign Director, Free Press and SavetheInternet
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/americas-internet-now-as-_b_1138775.html

  America's Internet -- Now as Good as Angola's

A recent letter to the editor
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/opinion/bringing-high-speed-internet-to-all.html>
of the /New York Times/ from Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg had me
scratching my head.

Seidenberg wrote torebut a /Times/ Op-Ed
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/opinion/sunday/internet-access-and-the-new-divide.html?pagewanted=print>
by former White House technology adviser Susan Crawford, in which she
argues that the United States' high-speed Internet marketplace suffers
from a lack of competition, a problem that drives broadband prices up
and services down for American Internet users.

"Over the last 10 years, we have deregulated high-speed Internet access
in the hope that competition among providers would protect consumers,"
Crawford wrote. "The result? We now have neither a functioning
competitive market for high-speed wired Internet access nor government
oversight."

*Our Broadband Backwater*

Indeed. It's gotten so bad the U.S. has gone from number one in
broadband penetration at the close of the 20th century down to --
depending on the survey -- 18th, 22nd or 25th in the world. And
Americans continue to pay a whole lot more and get a whole lot less
<http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/sites/cyber.law.harvard.edu/files/Berkman_Center_Broadband_Final_Report_15Feb2010.pdf>
of the Internet speeds that we deserve.

Compare our circumstances to those in Japan, for example, where Internet
users are accustomed to surfing
<http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/03/the-cost-to-offer-the-worlds-fastest-broadband-20-per-home/>
the Web at speeds of 100 Mbps (or megabits per second) at the same
prices Americans pay for dial-up. In Hong Kong, one provider now offers
<http://www.convergedigest.com/DSL/lastmilearticle.asp?ID=33367&ctgy=> a
$20 a month "triple play" package that includes a blistering 1,000 Mbps
data service.

Despite the evidence, Verizon's Seidenberg wrote that Crawford was
wrong; America's Internet is the best in the world.

"America has a very good broadband story; someone just has to be willing
to tell it," Seidenberg argues in his letter to the /Times/. As evidence
he cites a 2011 World Economic Forum global survey, which in the words
of Seidenberg "ranks the United States first in Internet competition."

Say what? I had to see that for myself.

The most recent WEF "Global Competitiveness" report
<http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GCR_Report_2011-12.pdf> (pdf) features
U.S. rankings on page 363. The good news is that we're ranked first in
the world for available airline seats. But the United States' Internet
rankings are terrible. We're 18th in the availability of the latest
technology, 18th in Internet users per capita and 26th in Internet
bandwidth per capita.

Perhaps Seidenberg's evidence is buried elsewhere. On page 294 of
another WEF report
<http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_GITR_Report_2011.pdf> (pdf) I found a
section on "political and regulatory environments" that featured an
Internet and telephone sector competition index.

The report allegedly looks at the level of competition for "retail
Internet access services, for international long-distance calls, and for
digital cellular mobile services," placing countries on a 0 (worst) to 6
(best) scale.

But it doesn't actually measure market competition beyond determining
whether these three separate fields remain state-sanctioned monopolies.

Well, U.S. telecommunications isn't a monopoly anymore. We did manage to
break up Ma Bell in the 1980s, but her children are showing every
intention to reassemble themselves as a modern-day equivalent. That
hasn't happened. At least not yet, so on retail Internet access we get a
2, indicating that its not a monopoly market; on international long
distance we get a 2; and on digital cellular mobile services we get a 2.

Our cumulative score is a 6, according to the report, the best possible
ranking -- or "first in Internet competition" in Seidenberg's profoundly
misleading interpretation.

Want to know who else came in "first?"

*Sixty other countries, including Angola, Burundi, the Kyrgyz Republic,
Venezuela and Vietnam.*

We're all Number One!

So if you are proud that the U.S. offers an Internet that's on par with,
er... Angola's, stand beside Seidenberg and wave the flag.

But if you agree with Crawford that the lack of true competition in the
U.S. has put us on a perilous path, demand that we do more to guarantee
universal and affordable access in a marketplace with real choices.