[governance] The Big Brother is everywhere now - Assange

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 10:09:53 EST 2011

Precision should not be a substituted for platitudes. But precision is
important.

CIR may be distinct from Google etc, but it also depends on how one sees
the problem, a holistic view of governance issues requires this, while
others may prefer differently.

Legitimacy is important and applies to any form of regulation (and it is
trite to assume that there is not regulation of the net, CIR or
wholesale tolerance of violations by current structures - not least the
conflation in praxis of domain names with intellectual property rights).

What is of concern is the way in which property rights issues are being
pushed as a way of regulating the net in an oblique way. Of course a
platitudinous approach would not capture this (technocracy matters, but
should it rule) which is why we have an ontological problem. And these
are hard to solve.

And is anti-statism a good response?

Riaz

     governance at lists.cpsr.org