[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 04:27:24 EDT 2011

I think it is important that the issue of pharmaceuticals regulation on
the internet be treated with caution - there the issue is being used
along with efforts by BigPharma to prevent parallel importation (and not
consumer protection).

And regarding choice of laws, I am not convinced that it is as easily
resolvable as all that.

As Nader in the US has pointed out, why is it we accept contractual
terms set in fine print etc for regulation of most of our arrangements -
and many of these terms contract out of consumer protection or benefits
that the law would provide (example waivers etc). But in common law
(roman dutch jurisdictions) contractual liability can attach,
notwithstanding claims of choice of laws in some cases, where the
contract was entered into, where either party resides, and where there
is a the possibility of not rendering an empty verdict (like getting a
judgement and then seeking enforcement of that judgement in a foreign
jurisdiction). While contractual claims may be difficult, it is the
violation of "fair contracting" terms that (consumer protection) etc
that makes liability issues a global concern. And hence something that
puts poorer countries at disadvantage.

Riaz

     governance at lists.cpsr.org