[governance] England and shutting off Twitter & Blackberry access

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 04:43:15 EDT 2011

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

The following petition message from Access Now raises an important
concern and shows the double edged nature of Internet Access and the
need for sustainable operations of various services and applications
in the current crisis that the country is facing. It also raises the
issue of access to Internet and communications as a fundamental right.

Accordingly, "The UK social networks are where the people have
organized clean-ups after the riots, how family members informed each
other they were safe, and helped the community look for perpetrators
of violence. Shut this off, and you not only facilitate the danger,
you endanger our fundamental right to freedom of speech. Violence
should be punished where the law has been broken, but not at the
expense of our fundamental rights."

Kindly read through the message and share your concern in the petition: