[governance] IGF relevance?

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Sat Apr 16 10:42:20 EDT 2011

Hi Fouad, Lee, Parminder,

Let's imagine for a minute a new topic, dubbed "road neutrality".
It would cover:
- keeping all roads in adequate conditions for all offered traffic,
- defining driving rules,
- managing agents and systems assigned to traffic regulation,
- controlling cargo legality, and
- insuring its delivery just in time.

Would that be a good cause, specially in developing countries ?
But doesn't it look like NN ?

Trying to get some influence needs first to identify the power centers in a
position to make (tolerate, allow, drive) changes. For networks there are
legislators, operators, content providers, ISPs, and to some extent the
media and the users.

Vertical integration of operator, content provider and ISP roles is loaded
with risks of unfair competition. Then it's none of a specific network
issue, commerce legislation can handle that.

Content inspection, however questionable it may be, should be dealt with at
national  level, normally defined by legislators.

A solid bone of contention is financing network infrastructures. Why would
competing operators chip in and let dominant content providers reap the
profits ? This is a typical trade issue, raised mostly between major
international stakeholders. Should discrete negotiations fail, it may land
on WTO's table.

A small to medium developing country cannot muster much weight against
dominant transborder operators and content providers. Nor can she set the
international regulatory scene. What's left is the national or regional
level, which may become exemplary for other countries to follow.

The old game still prevails, clay pot against iron pot.
- - -