[governance] Summary of Pacific Internet Governance Forum 2011

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 17:27:53 EDT 2011

Dear All,

Here is a brief summary of the Pacific Internet Governance Forum 9th, 10th
April, 2011 in Noumea:
*
* Acknowledgement of Diplo’s sponsorship

As part of Diplo’s mandate to build capacity in the ACP countries through
the generous funding of the European Union, Dalsie and I through a Diplo
Fellowship attended the first Pacific Internet Governance Forum in Noumea,
New Caledonia. I would like to thank both Diplo and EU for enabling our
attendance. We have been through the IG Foundation Training and it served us
well, we found that we were able to assist those who asked for our
assistance on issues. Feedback from the floor was that they welcomed and
enjoyed our interventions.

* *

*First Pacific Internet Governance Forum*

The Pacific Internet Governance Forum convened on the 9th and 10th of April,
2011. The Pacific Islands Ministerial Meeting for Energy, Infrastructure and
ICT convened from the 4th April 2011 till the 8th April, 2011 and was very
well attended. There was a ccTLD workshop that had ICANN Chair, cctLD’s from
the Pacific region, APNIC, Pacific Clearing House who presented. APNIC
informed the Pacific about how there were no more v4 allocations but that
they were ready to assist countries or companies looking to migrate into
IPv6. It was reported that Beijing is well under way to preparing for the
inevitable. Bill Woodcock (Packet Clearing House) along with Richard Lamb
spoke about the exciting developments with DNSSEC and they showed us how it
worked. A Tour was also organised to visit the Alcatel- Lucent cable ship in
which a few of us got to see how global submarine cables etc were placed
into the sea etc.

*Remote Participation*

I coordinated Remote participation from Noumea with Diplo (Ginger). In the
Pacific, where travelling inter island is very expensive, remote
participation and remote learning are very important for the Pacific. Remote
learning is extremely powerful and necessary here in the Pacific and I have
had a lot of people enquiring about the Training that Diplo runs. They are
looking forward to signing up. The mix of in situ and remote with Diplo’s
support was significant in this regard.

*Attendance*

APT, APTLD, APv6 task force, APNIC, ICANN, PICISOC, ITU, PACNOG,
AusRegistry, Internet New Zealand, Telecommunications Representatives from
around the Pacific, ISPs, Verisign, Netsafe, SPREP, SPC, PITA, Regulators,
Universities, Civil Society, Department of Communication and Information
technologies representatives from the Pacific, members of parliaments from
the Pacific, Government Ministers, individuals  attended the PIGF. To see
the Agenda: http://pacificigf.org/

*Opening*

The PIGF was opened by Dr Jimmy Rogers, head of the Secretariat of the
Pacific Community (SPC) that is mandated by Pacific Island Prime Ministers
to look after ICT Policy development in the region amongst other things. (I
am having trouble uploading videos and images from here in New Zealand. I
will try to find a way to get the interviews I did across.

*Issues*

The Sessions were extremely dynamic and vibrant.  The issues and concerns
that came from both panellists and the Forum at large included:-

   - Access to infrastructure
   - Access for persons with disabilities;
   - Critical and current issues in the internet infrastructure;
   - Universal Service and Access;
   - Governance challenges;
   - Multi stakeholder approach;
   - ICT as an enabler for economic development;
   - Capacity Development;
   - Cyber Security
   - Media Governance;
   - Regulatory Challenges;
   - ICT for Climate Change – management of e-waste;
   - Standards;

The PIGF is looking at how it will consolidate these issues and get further
views from those who could not make it to be able to represent this at the
Global IGF in Nairobi, Kenya. I am happy that through the generous
sponsorship of key players, we were able to have the first Pacific IGF and
it was a resounding success.

The ITU Secretary General Dr Touré closed the Pacific Regional IGF and we
witnessed the signing of an MoU between SPC and APNIC. To see Dr Toure’s
closing speech:
http://bit.ly/gBK32q<https://www.tflwebmail.com.fj/owa/redir.aspx?C=5b066674f28a48ce8568076f2dd7e13c&URL=http%3a%2f%2fbit.ly%2fgBK32q>

There were key strategic connections forged.