[governance] Remote participation for IGF 2010: individuals and

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Tue Sep 7 19:30:35 EDT 2010

On 08-Sep-2010, at 2:32 AM, Ginger Paque <gpaque at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone else have a solution/technique they use or suggest to
> implement this communication?

Yes, IRC (Internet Relay Chat), the oldest but still most widely-used
Internet chat protocol, and - unlike Skype - an open, non-proprietary
standard.

The official IGF IRC channel is #igf on the Freenode network (ie. chat.freenode.net
). Language-specific channels #igf-fr, #igf-es etc. also exist, and
anyone can request the administrator (me) to set up channels with
special features such as moderation.

Free IRC clients are available for every computing platform (just
search Google), and a Web based interface is also available at http://igf-online.net/chat.php
.

This facility has been available since 2007, but there are usually
only a small group of us online. This year I'd like to see many more,
so please join in! You'll find it a much more pleasant alternative to
Skype.