[governance] IGC & IGF

William Drake william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Tue Oct 26 06:58:13 EDT 2010

Hi Jeremy

On Oct 26, 2010, at 6:02 AM, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> On 25/10/2010, at 6:27 PM, William Drake wrote:
>
>> With the GA discussion approaching etc, shouldn't the IGC express support for the one part of the UN that's actively promoted its engagement in IG discussions?  This seems more immediately pressing to me than trying to visualize a whole new global institutional topography for EC, which one would expect to require a lot of time and dialogue...
>
> Yes and no, in my opinion.  We already have several submissions expressing support for the continuation of the IGF, which have fed into the GA's deliberation.

IGF will be renewed, the issue is in what format, what "improvements" may be made.  For example, would it be an improvement from a nongovernmental stakeholder standpoint to have the secretariat become a unit of DESA directly under Mr. Sha in NY (which could also entail moving the consultations there), to whom we've just written about the marginalization of nongovernmental stakeholders at DESA's NY consultation on EC?  There are reasons to wonder.  There are also reasons, one would think, to express support for those who've consistently supported us.

> But now that EC is finally back on the table, I don't think we want it to let it slip away again.  Even more so than the IGF, if properly realised it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to cement civil society's place in global governance for the Internet regime.

I have no less than four disagreements with the second sentence but that's neither here nor there, the main point is there's no real trade-off between doing a brief statement expressing support for the secretariat and collectively cogitating on grand designs for EC.

> I like your idea about an IGF-based multistakeholder observatory committee.  But do others on this list have other ideas about what EC should be?  It is just not concrete enough at the moment, and I think one positive thing that the IGC can contribute is to put forward some specific ideas.

Sure.

Cheers,

Bill

William J. Drake