[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:03:10 EST 2010

Hi Parminder,

I too join your concern as well as believe in what you have termed as
the paradox. I have a feeling that this statement is just for the sake
of a statement but it represents our views of how confused we are in
terms of what is really required and what really affects us in the
developing world.

It is interesting that how we even as members within IGC try to move
towards and believe in a direction that is not possible nor workable
and are looking forward to waste another 5 years discussing something
that will take no other form out of what it is at the moment now.
Either we have members whose interests oppose to why we people from
the developing world gather here in the spirit for what IGC exists for
or we have certain actors here who have backgrounds that are in
conflict of interest to the IGC charter.

An open, new and inclusive institutional framework for evolving global
IG related public policies with the opportunity to be democratic in
inclusion of all countries and stakeholders will have to be advocated
separate from existing silos like OECD and the expectation of IGF to
evolve into one?

Despite there is an OECD's Committee For Information, Computer and
Communication Policy with an active portfolio for helping develop
Internet policies (as you mentioned esp those with trans-border
ramification) I donot believe this has been totally beneficial to us
developing world countries. Its one directional policy development and
policy instruments in which no developing country has direct consent
or consensus of formulation and implementation.

Furthermore, despite the fact that many CS members in the IGC actively
associate with the work of the mentioned OECD institutional framework
and I was also present at the OECD ministerial in Seoul, I am sorry to
say that much of the work is related to the policy advocacy agenda's
of certain organizations and not wholly directed at any direct
intervention on any developing issue in our developing world. Just to
give you an idea, I couldn't even register for many days because the
Pakistan record was no where in their participants database for
participating countries.

Anyways, I had earlier sent a message on the issue with regards to
using Pakistan as a litmus test but received no response on it because
we don't want to look back and rectify what damage has already been
done and want to move into the future with policy frameworks and
institutions developed with a totally different social and economic
model in our mind.

I support your call for addressing the urgent need for global Interent
related public policies.and am disappointed with the IG current
statement on EC as it represents only views that are not reflecting
what the developing world needs but what certain minds need to see,
debate, write books and papers about wheres we are left to suffer
because an improvement could happen but the global intellect couldn't
see it.

---- Fouad Bajwa

     governance at lists.cpsr.org