[governance] FINAL? DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at eff.org
Wed Nov 10 09:56:59 EST 2010

I have trouble understanding Parminder's opinion. While I agree with
this phrase (quote below), I do not understand why he thinks that by
having this new global policy setting, Bilateral agreements (US FTAs -
other countries), ACTA, etc will stop from happening. Better to said:
Why creating a new  global policy setting with binding recommendations
will avoid / stop those agreements to happen.  The United States start
using this strategy when they failed to incorporate some of these
proposals through WIPO, so they end up adding those proposals through
the bilateral or multi lateral agreements (which of course, we object).

"It is now especially critical that the global community give renewed
attention to these principles, at a time when we see danger of them
being forgotten - for example, in that a proposed Anti-Counterfeiting
Trade Agreement that will affect Internet users around the world
(including the most marginalized), has been shaped almost entirely by
powerful corporate and state actors from the global North."

--- begins ---

The Civil Society Internet Governance Caucus (CS-IGC) regards the
process towards enhanced cooperation as a vital step towards addressing
the "many cross-cutting international public policy issues that require
attention and are not adequately addressed by the current mechanisms"
(Tunis Agenda para 68).

Despite an intergovernmental mandate from WSIS to address this
governance deficit, much remains to be done.  It is imperative that this
deficit continue to be addressed, where appropriate through new
institutional developments that comply with the WSIS process criteria of
being multilateral, transparent, democratic and inclusive.

It is now especially critical that the global community give renewed
attention to these principles, at a time when we see danger of them
being forgotten - for example, in that a proposed Anti-Counterfeiting
Trade Agreement that will affect Internet users around the world
(including the most marginalized), has been shaped almost entirely by
powerful corporate and state actors from the global North.

We make three further points.  First, enhanced cooperation should
encompass all Internet-related public policy issues; second, many of our
members believe the existing arrangements of relevant organisations
(including the Internet Governance Forum) do not fully implement
enhanced cooperation, and thirdly whatever new arrangements may be put
in place, civil society must play an integral part in them, as one of
the prerequisites for their legitimacy.

These points will be explained in turn:

1. Although much of the discussion of enhanced cooperation at WSIS
turned around the narrow issue of internationalising the oversight of
Internet naming and numbering functions critical Internet resource
administration, the Tunis Agenda expresses this principle far more
broadly to include other substantive Internet related public policy
issues that require attention and resolution at the global level.  It
also reminds us that the ultimate objective of our cooperation is to
advance a people-centred, inclusive, development-oriented and
non-discriminatory Information Society.

This is not to say that the broadening of oversight of critical Internet
resource administration is not an important issue - it is, and CS-IGC
members are among many who strongly consider the continuing supervisory
role of the US government to be inappropriate for a truly global
resource such as the Internet. But this is only one of many important
public policy issues on which enhanced cooperation is needed.

2. The IGF in its present form is a very important part of the broader
enhanced cooperation process, in that its multi-stakeholder process can
provide input to shape decisions taken on Internet related public policy
issues in other fora.  However the full realisation of enhanced
cooperation will require a multi-stakeholder process to extend to all
other Internet governance organisations, whether new or established.

If institutional changes are to be made, tThere are various options for
enhancing multi-stakeholder cooperation within and amongst all relevant
organisations (which may be complementary).  These include:

* making no institutional changes but encouraging organisations to
enhance their own cooperation with other stakeholders and to report to
the CSTD on their progress;

* establishing a lightweight multi-stakeholder observatory process
perhaps hosted under the auspices of the IGF (pursuant to its mandate in
paragraph 72(i));

* utilising a virtual and voluntary global social community or
ecosystem, linking together all Internet governance organisations, in
which all stakeholders would participate; or

* establishing a new umbrella governance institution for Internet policy
development establishing new governance arrangements designed to address
any pressing public policy matters that cannot be managed through
existing institutions, with space for the full participation of each
stakeholder group in its respective role. This might also be situated
within the IGF, but pursuant to a new and supplementary mandate.

3. Paragraph 71 of the Tunis Agenda makes very clear that civil society
is an integral participant in the development of any process towards
enhanced cooperation.  Therefore the IGC, in our capacity as members of
civil society, looks forward to contributing constructively in
transparent, accountable and democratic multi-stakeholder
consultations towards this end.

--- ends ---

--
Katitza Rodriguez
International Rights Director
katitza at eff.org
katitza at datos-personales.org (personal email)

Please support EFF - Working to protect your digital rights and freedom of speech since 1990