Multistakeholderism and Public Policy: (was) RE: [governance] Re: SECOND DRAFT statement on enhanced cooperation

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 17:54:44 EST 2010

I fear that Avri ("I believe that the multistakeholder model...") and
Jeanette ("multistakeholderism...is useful in "nailing jello to a wall") are
lapsing into arguments based on faith (Avri) and hope (Jeanette), (I'll
leave off discussing who here is advocating "charity" ie.
multistakeholderism turning its attention to the burdens of supporting
service for the unserviced).

Since neither of them nor others have chosen to answer my rather simple and
straightforward question:

>>> who is representing the
>>> broader public interest (certainly not a very narrowly based and
>>> non-representative in any sense, CS)--including for example, those
>>> with no or limited access; those for whom access is unavailable or
>>> highly restricted because of geography, disability or cost; or those
>>> with access but who are lacking in the opportunity to make effective
>>> use of that access in support of better living circumstances for
>>> themselves and their families and communities.

... The answer is that from my observation there has been little or no
progress in this area at the global level. In fact, given the more or less
complete absence of support for even the slight progress that was made in
WSIS, in the recent ITU/UNESCO Broadband report (see my blogpost on this)
arguably the international multistakeholder activity has simply provided a
cover for the evident inaction.

Meanwhile the quite considerable progress that has been made in this area
has all occurred at the national level as a result of the actions of
governments responding to national political/representative forces among
others ... E.g. the entrance into the constitution of Costa Rica and Finland
of a right to the Internet, legislation in various countries affirming and
supporting universal Internet access as a necessary goal (France, Spain, New
Zealand)and very widespread movements on the part of a number of governments
(Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia among others) to extend Internet/broadband
access to the entire population. Of even more importance has in fact been
the actions on the ground driven by commercial and consumer forces to extend
mobile/Internet access to huge numbers of previously unconnected.

I too feel that there is a need at the global level for some form of
"Internet governance" and specifically to help to define, enhance and where
necessary enforce the broad global public interest. But I don't think that
that this can be based on either faith, hope or charity.

Rather it needs, from the CS perspective, to be based on a clear
definition/articulation of what is the (global) public interest in the areas
being discussed in IG and then the mobilization of the broad coalition of
those working to support the public interest first to develop transparent
and inclusive frameworks within which those interests can be articulated and
then to develop the means for ensuring that the public interest so defined
becomes both the global and the local reality.

Mike Gurstein