[governance] methods was CSTD

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 24 02:05:51 EDT 2010

Avri Doria wrote:

> so have we been able to introduce any new working methods or ways of reaching outcomes in the IGC?
>
> if we can't even do it here, in a group that seems to want to do it, what makes us think we can just convince the other stakeholders that they should do so.
>
> a.
I am not sure what you are driving at, Avri. Governance and politics is
not an optional 'game' in which we may want to participate or not. It is
a key, perhaps even central, social function necessary for societies to
survive.

Whether a set of social actors are able to get their act together
towards some outcome based processes depends on how strongly these
actors see/ feel the need of these processes and outcomes. As I said in
my email to Bill alluding to the political economy of the Internet that
some may be more 'relaxed' about how things are at present as per their
situation/ interests and other rather more eager and anxious to move
forward for similar reasons. However in the final analysis purposeful
governance of an social phenomenon as strong as pervasive as the
Internet is not an option, it is a necessity.

As for convincing 'other stakeholders' such convincing too has a
context. For instance one cannot too easily convince large business that
they need to be regulated (remember financial crisis). Almost same with
institutions who at present 'independently' do technical coordination
functions related to the Internet. Or a country that enjoys unilateral
control over key infrastructural elements. I think we too easily exclude
issues of power and countervailing power and power contestations
involved in governance and political areas and focus too exclusively on
win-win ideals. A balance between the two needs to be kept.

However I did read with fascination the various new possibilities and
means described by Dr Newman which I think denote interesting frontiers
of participative democracy. However these methods would still need to be
used along with many traditional ones.

Basically, a lot of civil society advocacy - and almost all that goes
under the label of progressive civil society - is premised on deep
dissatisfaction with existing power structures and equations that are
considered unfair and unjust, and it attempt to correct them through
political action. Our advocacy work around falls within this larger goal
- whereby Internet is sought to be made into an instrument of reducing
social inequalities and injustices rather let it - and it does do it
often - further exacerbate them.

Parminder