[governance] Re: Multi-stakeholders and the outcasts' Rights

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Mar 5 18:25:27 EST 2010

In message <880963.17965.qm at web83911.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>, at 10:15:20 on
Fri, 5 Mar 2010, Eric Dierker <cogitoergosum at sbcglobal.net> writes
>Right on Roland,
>
>So in the current debate I have not seen any person stand up for the
>notion that even the least among us is entitled to Internet Rights --
>as in participation.

Thank you - someone prepared to put some ideas on the table regarding
what kind of "Rights" we might be talking about here.

> Looking at the UN charter human rights one finds many references to a
>right to participate.

That's participate in the political process.

So are you referring to a right that everyone might have to use the
Internet in order to properly participate in traditional governmental
politics, and/or a right for everyone to participate in Internet
politics?

The interesting feature of the latter is that even in enlightened
countries, it's not possible for the ordinary citizen to easily
participate in every vertical market's politics.

But the Internet's politics are probably more accessible than most (I
see more discussion like this, blogs and websites, discussing how and
why the Internet is run the way it is than, say, equivalent discussion
about the politics of running one of the biggest industries in many
countries ie the Healthcare System).

>Why not here?

Here on this list, you mean? With rights come responsibilities, and as
far as I'm aware anyone prepared to take those responsibilities
seriously is allowed to participate.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org