[governance] Strangeness in the IGF programme

Carlos A. Afonso ca at cafonso.ca
Wed Mar 3 14:47:42 EST 2010

Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> One of the promising "collateral effects" of the IGF is the several
>> national/regional IGFs (which might continue even if this UN thing
>> disappears) -- but in the last MAG the UN made sure that there will be
>> little time for regional meetings to report back

By the UN I mean Nitin, of course, who is an executive under orders of
the Secretary General. The format in Egypt was that we should have
enough time to read the full regional reports and time for debate, but
the session had little time for this. So what they did was to make this
little time official -- now we will not be able to read the reports in
full, just a briefing, and who knows how much time we will have for
debate. Recalling here, of course, that the only glimpses of
recommendations in the IGF emerged in these reports, and you have a
sense of what is going to happen... or not happen.

--c.a.

--

Carlos A. Afonso
CGI.br (www.cgi.br)