[governance] curious note on nairobi and brussels...

Anriette Esterhuysen anriette at apc.org
Mon Jul 5 06:01:16 EDT 2010

Dear c.a.

Yes.. good question.  Let's hope that we don't have the same paranoia
emerge again when the IGF is being hosted in Kenya.

Anriette

On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 13:22 -0300, Carlos A. Afonso wrote:
> Dear people,
>
> When ICANN proposed to hold their meeting in Nairobi, there came an
> avalanche of reports and fears -- above all, a statement from the US
> government warning all of us not to go due to serious security concerns.
>
> The ones who went (I was there) found a wonderful people, a nice
> country, we learned a lot visiting museums and other places -- above
> all, we were at least as safe as in our home towns.
>
> Now, in Brussels, one of us had its bag forcefully stolen at the central
> train station. Nothing of this sort happened in Kenya. Our NCUC friend
> Marcelo Fernandes Costa had about Eu5,000 in equipment and money stolen
> in the capital of Europe. When he approached a policeman to report the
> robbery, the Belgian shook his shoulders as if saying "nothing new...".
>
> Why didn't the US government and other "mandarins of worldwide security"
> warn us about the serious risks we run when in civilized Europe???
>
> --c.a.

anriette esterhuysen - executive director
association for progressive communications
p o box 29755 melville - south africa 2109
anriette at apc.org - tel/fax + 27 11 726 1692
http://www.apc.org

APC 1990-2010 www.apc.org
Thank you for helping make APC what it is today!
¡Gracias por hacer de APC lo que es hoy!
Merci d'avoir contribué à faire d'APC ce qu'elle est aujourd'hui!

     governance at lists.cpsr.org