[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Jan 28 15:20:27 EST 2010

Thanks John, I appreciate your reply. But for the record, can you confirm
exactly how many IP addresses have been allocated and/or reserved for US
Dept of Defence? (not all of us can read /16 or /13 and make sense of it).
It would be good to know the exact number. Can anyone give me authoritative
information on this, as media reports are widely different. Also, am I right
that this is the largest allocation made to date?

I gather from your comments (and those passed on by McTim earlier) that an
application of this size lead to a considerable amount of discussion and
internal clarification before an allocation was made. Glad to hear it. But I
am still puzzled as to what the documented need would be for such a large
allocation.

However, as you say

> ARIN isn't in a position to disclose the
> application information related to any allocation, regardless of the nature
> of the applicant

Which, while understandable, is a great pity. We do have an international
climate where the sometimes "special" relationship of internet governance
groups with the US government is viewed with suspicion, and this large
allocation without explanation will only fuel those fires.

Thanks again for being as open with your reply as you could as ARIN CEO. But
of course I remain curious and I am sure others do as well.

Ian Peter

     governance at lists.cpsr.org