[governance] IPv6 address allocations to DOD - 247 billion or 42

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy isolatedn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 04:47:39 EST 2010

Hello Ian,

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:

> 42,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

That amounts to 0.01234% of all IP addresses possible. If every other
country gets allocations in the same proportion, roughly about 2.5% of all
possible addresses will be the allotment to the DODs of all National
Governments.

(That is for the Departments of Defense alone. In the US, if the DOD gets
0.01234% of all addresses, will there be other divisions of US Government
such as the DOC applying for their own numbers for networks under their own
jurisdiction?)

> That's how many IPv6 addresses have been allocated to US DOD according to
> the link below - and that's significantly more than large telcos.

the number is huge, in excess of allocations to bodies who
> have greater neeeds for IP numbers, and

> hardly allocated on the basis of need.

? Or perhaps the DoD might 'need' so many addresses to control the flow of
information anywhere in the world in future?

> If the number was simply allocated because it was asked for, that seems a
> very naïve decision in an age where claims of information imperialism are
> being made. Surely someone in the relevant internet governance area (ARIN?)
> would have thought about the policy implications?
>
> Or if there was simply no choice - US DOD gets what it wants, no questions
> asked, questions need to be raised about the independence of internet
> governance structures.
>
> These are really valid questions. We also need to worry about the use
foreseen by the Department of Defense for so many IPv6 addresses. This
should be enough IP address to assign to every little bullet that the DoD
will ever use. Or by some future invention, the DoD may assign a second IP v
6 address to every computer or IP enable thing anywhere on Earth for which
the superfiicial and known IPv6 address could be the one obtained by the
user and the second would be a DoD assigned invisible number for ease of
surveillance? ( If this is far fetched, it is merely as far fetched as the
huge size of the addresses that the DoD has obtained.)

The article says that the DoD's address block is 64 times larger than any
other block allocated to anyone else. This seems to be in tune with the
American notions of America's  role in defending not only America but the
whole world.

I am more concerned about US DOD's unknown concepts for future based on
which it has asked for so many addresses.

Sivasubramanian Muthusamy