[governance] Bottom up open to anyone

Fearghas McKay fm-lists at st-kilda.org
Sat Jan 23 12:00:25 EST 2010

On 22 Jan 2010, at 14:09, Eric Dierker wrote:

> 1. What does the term bottom up mean?  I have never seen a seat
> filled by a consumer with no credentials in Internet work.

Define credentials?

In the RIPE RIR region participation is the only requirement, if you
can convince people with your proposal it will become policy. We have
a formal PDP - Policy Development Process, http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/pdp.html
  . The concluding phase where the process is reviewed by the Working
Group chairs as a collective is purely concerned with making sure the
rest of the process was followed and consensus was achieved, all it
can do is send policy back to the WG to gain consensus.

> 2. Really, the lists are not monitored and censored and are open to
> anyone?

Certainly in the RIPE RIR they are open to all and not censored. Work
is done on the mailing list not at meetings so the entry to
participation is not dependent on travel budgets.

> And Milton is the example of openness and bottom up??

No idea - he doesn't really participate in the RIPE community as far
as I know.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org