[governance] the matter of MAG rotation 2010

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 15 00:00:04 EST 2010

Hi All

I just now posted the following message to the IGF MAG list. More
openness is always welcome but there are also some larger structural
questions about the mandate and efficacy of the IGF which worry me since
the proposal of 'only open meetings' has been made in connection with
the need or not of renewing the MAG. I will posit these larger questions
a little later while I share my mentioned email. Parminder

(Disclosure: I am some kind of a member of the MAG system and am funded
for attending its meeting. However, to be fair to me, I was also funded
to attend the planning meeting in Sept which was *not* a MAG meeting.)

Dear Markus and others,

A couple of questions come to my mind regarding the new proposal which
could merit some discussion.

Does this mean that there will be no MAG post Feb? (I understand that
MAG could exist while there be only open  planning meeting as in Sept last.)

If so, have we looked at all the implication - tangible and intangible -
of there being no MAG in existence for a whole year in the run-up to an
IGF meeting, and during the meeting?

Does this in fact suggest that we could anyway more or less do without a
MAG, and a couple of open preparatory/ planning meetings in Geneva,
outcomes of which are culled/interpreted by the secretariat, is all that
is needed to hold the IGF and comply with the WSIS requirements?

Does trying out this practice in the year of possible structural changes
to the IGF - possibly taken up along with its renewal if it comes - can
have even more special significance?

Thanks and best regards

Parminder