[governance] 'search neutrality' to go with net neutrality (Corrected)

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Tue Jan 5 11:43:34 EST 2010

Fearghas,

When you say:

> Personally my take on the original article is that the search rankings
> were correct, they had no valid new / original content, just a  collection
> of links.

Maybe so, but consider this from a search developer at one of the major
engine companies:

> A real-world web search engine, such as Google's or Microsoft's, has
> literally thousands or tens of thousands of ranking signals, updated or
> introduced multiple times during a single day. Additionally, the
> permutations are near infinite, as the major search engines are constantly
> running concurrent experiments in an effort to dynamically tune the system
> with real user queries and user happiness.
>
>  Moreover, modern search engines such as Google go so far as to customize
> and personalize each result on the fly for each individual user, meaning
> that there is no canonical ranking to begin with.  And all of this is
> predicated on top of a very unpredictable and continuously changing corpus
> of crawled data, with more and more of it arriving in near real-time.
>
>  Given all of that as context, I wouldn't even know where to begin to try
> and make the ranking process visible to the user.  There is no one
> algorithm, and no one corpus, no one frozen point in time, no way to even
> explain the ranking process to lay-people to begin with.  A worthy
> challenge, but I'm not sure how practically it could be done.

So creating transparent search is a challenging task indeed. Jimmy Wales'
people gave a swipe at it a few years ago but got pounced on for its Alpha
release. We've linked to that Wikia Search effort and others on our
Transparent Search wiki page - http://bit.ly/TransparentSearch.

Best,

 Tom Lowenhaupt

     governance at lists.cpsr.org