[governance] WG - +5?

Drake William william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
Thu Dec 16 10:21:05 EST 2010

Hi

On Dec 16, 2010, at 3:46 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Another suggestion I heard bandied about in the hallways of Cartagena was for the rest of the stakeholders, with a few of the sympathetic governments to consider forming an alternate process.
>
> I do not know if this idea is real or being followed up on. Whether this process would be just a shadow process which commented on the official process, or one that eventually became the primary process,  this may be worth considering should the non governmental stakeholders not be accorded full and  proper status.

I bandied, after the IGF session (in which I ranted).  The suggestion was that if CSTD will not reconsider and make the wgig (that's half a WGIG) MS, we could organize a group to do our own report.  After all, IGC and presumably ISOC and ICC prepared nomination processes that were waiting to be fired up, and presumably still could be.  Whether any friendly governments would feel they could also join such an effort is unclear, but one assumes it'd be complicated even for those who question the legitimacy of the Dec. 6 decision.  Either way, they could still coordinate with the group informally, and hopefully find some way to introduce the group's report into the process on some basis, non-paper or whatever.  However that last step is handled, there would then be two probably rather different assessments getting press and attention in the period leading up to any "improvement" decisions.  Of course, while it's not quite a nuclear option, it probably wouldn't be greeted with open arms by G77 or the UN.  But if handled correctly, it could still be quite useful in various respects.

That said, the antecedent question is what happens tomorrow...if the best we can get is +5, do we take it, or do we consider trying to organize a parallel track?

Cheers,

Bill

     governance at lists.cpsr.org