[governance] EC consultation in NY: my report

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Dec 16 08:39:48 EST 2010

On 16 Dec 2010, at 04:06, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> As Milton indicated, just saying the status quo is working fine
> and no change needed, in the context of "IGF improvement"
> and "enhanced" cooperation, is rather weak, IMHO.

I don't hear anyone saying the IGF does not need improvement.  I think that is a straw dog - an argument made to be knocked down.

Not only is the IGF young and on a course of constant growth, i.e. improvement one hopes, there is not such thing as an organization that does not need improvement.

The question is in what direction people are trying to improve it.  If you think it is is broken because it does not make decisions, then you can call that improvement.

Whether the IGF can or should make decisions is still a tough call in my opinion.  It some sense, it obviously should make decisions in some of the areas where there is a void.  But until governments learn that making decisions means them, there needs to be care taken, hence the recommendations for words like  'outcomes' and other non decisions words.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org