[governance] Re: Draft IGC statement on Wikileaks

Fearghas McKay fm-lists at st-kilda.org
Sun Dec 12 15:06:34 EST 2010

Hi

On 12 Dec 2010, at 16:04, Avri Doria wrote:

> I agree with this position.

+1 with Avri & Katitza

> I am against the use of the word hackers.  First the term is ambiguous, there have always been hackers ad mostly it was a good thing, it is the hackers who have made the network work in many cases.  And there are also the hackers who do things that are sometimes considered negative.

Hacker is a longstanding term of respect for technical prowess, you are looking for words like Cracker or Black Hat.

> I also agree that we do not know that it is hackers that are doing the DDOS.  At this point there are tools and services out there that would allow the most non-technical person to do a DDOS if they so wished.  For all we know, these attacks may be the result of skiddie and script bunny activity.

The operational evidence of these DDOS attacks is that it random members of the online community that are running them, not even Script Kiddies, these are just people who are upset and members of the general public. Similar to the rioting students in London, England in the last couple of weeks. They are definitely not Hackers in either the traditional sense of the word or the abused inaccurate version.

Please do not present this document as an IGC Statement as it currently stands.

It would be helpful if planning on using new tools if we could at least have the initial draft posted to the mailing list as we don't all have the benefit of being online all the time. So including the draft in the email enables people to at least review offline and to provide feedback via email if necessary.

Thanks

     governance at lists.cpsr.org